If you are finding it difficult to fall asleep but don’t want to fall prey to the bad habit of taking sleeping pills, start taking a glass of golden milk every night. Besides sleep, we will also discuss other turmeric milk benefits you can get just by having a cup daily before bed.
Are you wondering what exactly we are referring to? It’s a glass of warm turmeric milk.
This milk recipe would make you healthier both physiologically and emotionally and promote sound sleep. You will literally get to sleep like a baby after making this special potion a part of daily life.
Turmeric milk contains a host of natural ingredients, not just milk and turmeric. Each of those ingredients has medicinal properties of its own.
Read on to get acquainted with the health benefits of the drink and learn how to prepare it.
- 1 5 Major Turmeric Milk Benefits Dramatically Improve Your Sleep
- 2 Turmeric Milk Recipes
- 3 What’s the Best Way of Having Turmeric Milk?
5 Major Turmeric Milk Benefits Dramatically Improve Your Sleep
Having a glass of this healthful drink would provide you with a series of health benefits. It addresses every possible factor that might be responsible for sleep deprivation.
Here are the most prominent health benefits offered by turmeric milk –
1) Reduces Inflammation
Turmeric milk contains ingredients like turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, each of which are known for their anti-inflammatory properties.
A reduction in inflammation enables more effective management of debilitating health conditions like arthritis, metabolic syndrome, cardiac disorders, Alzheimer’s disease, etc.
Studies have shown that curcumin, the active ingredient of turmeric is particularly instrumental in reducing inflammation related to arthritis.
During one such study, 45 arthritis sufferers were given 500mg of curcumin, while another group of arthritis suffers received 50mg of a common arthritis medicine.
Both curcumin and the arthritis medicine resulted in similar progress as far as reduction in inflammation is concerned.
2) Prevents Cell Damage
Curcumin demonstrates amazing antioxidant properties.
Researchers have confirmed that antioxidants provide human body with the ability to repair cell damage, which in turn makes us less susceptible to diseases.
Curcumin is also instrumental in reversing stress induced cell damage.
3) Fights Depression
During a small study, 60 participants were given curcumin supplements for a specific period.
At the end of the study, it was found that the participants suffering from depression experienced significant reduction in their symptoms.
The improvement was most prominent in individuals taking both curcumin and antidepressants.
4) Improves Brain Health and Memory
A few older studies found strong association between turmeric consumption and improved brain functions.
However, we always prefer to talk about recent research works when elaborating health benefits of a natural ingredient. So, let’s look at the memory boosting abilities of the other ingredients used in this nourishing drink.
A few animal studies conducted recently have confirmed that cinnamon and ginger boast the ability to improve the functioning of our brain.
For instance, findings of one animal study proved cinnamon’s ability to preserve brain proteins that can prevent worsening of various symptoms of Parkinson’s disease. These include tremors and memory loss.
5) Aids Digestion
Ginger, one of the main ingredients of golden milk, might improve your digestive health significantly.
Since years humans have been using ginger as a natural remedy for nausea and vomiting. These medicinal properties of ginger have also been proved through various scientific studies.
Turmeric Milk Recipes
Recipe #1: Turmeric Milk with Chamomile Tea
- ½ cup chamomile tea, brewed and warm
- 1½ cup hot milk (or almond milk)
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon virgin coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ashwagandha
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- ¼ teaspoon freshly crushed black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2 teaspoons organic honey (optional)
For enjoying authentic taste and best results, you will need to use mortar and pestle for this recipe. If that’s not possible, you can obviously use your food processor or electronic grinder.
- Add the grated ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, ashwagandha, cardamom, coconut oil, and peppercorns into the mortar.
- Use the pestle to grind all the ingredients and form a paste. If the paste is too dense add a few drops of brewed chamomile tea to make it a bit lighter.
- Split the paste into two parts. Each part would be enough for preparing a mugful of turmeric milk.
- Put the two portions of the paste into two mugs and fill them with hot chamomile tea and milk (almond milk).
- Add the honey only if you want your turmeric milk to be sweet (vegans can add some maple syrup).
- Stir the liquid using a spoon and serve the drink warm.
Recipe #2: Traditional Turmeric Milk Recipe
- 16 oz milk
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- Take a heavy bottom saucepan and pour the milk into it.
- Add the grated ginger, pepper powder and turmeric powder into the milk and simmer the ingredients together for around five minutes. Keep the flame medium.
- You should keep stirring the milk in between; this will prevent it from overflowing.
Here, we would like to mention that when using non-pasteurized milk, you will need to heat the mix a little longer. To be more precise, you will have to bring the milk to a full boil.
- After five minutes of simmering, turn the heat off and add in a tablespoon of palm sugar.
- Pour the milk in a glass and serve after topping it with cinnamon powder.
What’s the Best Way of Having Turmeric Milk?
You should drink turmeric milk just before going to be at night.
You should replace milk with buttermilk if you have a history of lactose intolerance.
If you don’t want to add any dairy product to your daily diet, have a combination of turmeric, jaggery and dry coconut around 5pm in the evening.
Having a glass of turmeric milk every night would not only make falling asleep easier for you but will also improve your health.
You will feel more rejuvenated in the morning and will have better mental clarity. However, make sure you are not allergic to any of the ingredients used in the recipes mentioned above.
In brief, these were some of the major turmeric milk benefits you can get from having a cup of golden milk daily.