Don’t know how to treat stiff neck at home? No worries, read on to know some magical home remedies that you can give a try for sprained neck pain.
If your profession requires you to remain in a particular posture constantly for several hours, you might develop a stiff neck. If the posture is your problem then try these Yoga poses to improve posture.
Neck sprain and stiff neck can also occur due to wrong sleeping postures or due to an injury while working out.
Whatever might be the reason behind your sprained or stiff neck, this write-up would come in handy for you. Here, we have presented some natural remedies that can treat the condition effectively.
Read on to get acquainted with them.
- 1 Know How to Treat Stiff Neck Naturally at Home
- 2 Introduce Changes to Cure and Prevent Neck Sprain
Know How to Treat Stiff Neck Naturally at Home
1) Use a Hot Pack
Applying a hot water bag on the affected region can reduce your neck stiffness or strain quickly and effectively.
The warmth offered by hot water would increase blood flow in the region and decrease the pain and discomfort associated with the condition almost instantly. Repeated use of the remedy will offer complete relief from the problem.
Here’s what you should do:
- Fill a hot water bag (you can use a glass bottle instead) with boiling hot water and place it on the affected part of your neck.
- Apply it on the region for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Repeat the above steps once in every three hours.
- Do this until you get complete relief from the pain.
2) Apply an Ice Pack
Application of an ice pack would reduce the inflammation in your neck by cooling down and relaxing the strained muscles.
This remedy would be particularly useful if you have developed stiff or sprained neck as a result of incurring an injury while exercising.
Here are the steps you should follow:
- Fill a polybag with some crushed ice.
- Wrap the polybag using a towel or a thick piece of cloth.
- Place the bag on the affected part of your neck.
- Apply the ice pack for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Repeating the process once in every three to four hours will reduce the muscle soreness and reduce your pain considerably.
If the above process seems to be too lengthy to you, you can use readymade cool pads sold at chemist shops.
3) Perform Exercises to Reduce the Neck Sore
Contrary to the common belief, there are several exercises that can alleviate your neck pain. Here are the instructions for one of the most effective ones among them:
- Sit with your back placed straight against the wall keeping your upper body in a 90-degree angle with your lower body. Your shoulders and head should lean backwards and must touch the wall.
- Staying in the above positions, you will have to practice a couple of motions. The actions might be a little painful for you initially. However, gradually they will heal your neck sore completely.
- Slowly turn your head sideways. Repeat these five times on both sides.
- Next, slowly move the head up and down. Here also you must do five repetitions.
- If the actions appear to be extremely painful, we will advise you to reduce the number of repetitions.
This remedy is useful particularly to cure neck sprain caused by poor sleeping posture.
4) Massage the Area Using an Essential Oil
Applying an essential oil on the affected region and massaging the area can offer serious pain relief. Some of the oils you may choose for this purpose include rose oil, pine oil, lavender oil, etc.
- Take any oil of your choice and apply it onto the affected part of your neck. Cover the area with enough oil.
- Now, massage the region in gentle circular motions.
- Do this for 10 to 15 minutes and you will surely feel much better.
- If you don’t have any essential oil in your collection, you can perform the above steps using any analgesic balm or ointment of your choice.
5) Alternative Therapies
Acupuncture and chiropractic care are two great ways of managing stiff and sprained neck.
However, none of these alternative therapies can be carried out without a professional.
So, you have to visit a certified acupuncture specialist or chiropractic practitioner for undergoing the therapies.
The acupuncture therapist would insert medicated needles into certain pressure points around your neck to offer you permanent relief from the stiffness.
The chiropractor, on the other hand, would manipulate your neck joints and muscles for providing complete pain relief.
6) Apply a Hot Pack Made of Carom Seeds
Carom seeds or ajwain seeds boast antiseptic properties. In addition, these seeds are also known to offer warmth when used in the right manner.
You should use carom seeds in the following way when suffering from a stiff neck:
- Take a bowlful of ajwain seeds (at least 200 grams) and roast them over medium to low heat.
- Take a piece of soft cloth and place all the roasted carom seeds in it.
- Secure the seeds inside the cloth by tying a right knot. You should complete all these steps quickly to ensure that the seeds retain their warmth.
- Press the hot pack containing ajwain seeds on the affected parts of your neck gently and slowly.
- Continue until the ajwain cools down completely. Repeat this remedy twice everyday until your neck sprain subsides.
Introduce Changes to Cure and Prevent Neck Sprain
Adjust your Sleeping Setup
Here are a few things you can do to adjust your sleeping setup –
- Replace your current mattress with a firmer one.
- Start using a neck pillow
- Stop sleeping without back facing the ceiling. Always sleep on your side or back.
- If you grind your teeth when asleep, wear a mouth guard to prevent the same.
Change the Design of your Workspace to Make it more Ergonomic
Here’s what you should do –
- Position your chair in a way so that you can place your feet flat on the ground. Your hips, on the other hand, should remain slightly above the level of your knees.
- You should always maintain an ergonomic posture when sitting on the chair. Your arms must be in the same level as your desk and your back should remain straight.
- Your computer should be at your eye level. Always use ergonomically designed mouse and keyboard.
- Lastly, don’t forget to get up and walk a few steps after working constantly for an hour. You can also perform a few stretching exercises to prevent muscle cramp and induce muscle relaxation.
To conclude, we would like to insist that if your neck remains stiff and sore for more than 4 to 5 days, get yourself checked by a doctor.